Edited (2020-05-03): Rules and Schedule subject to change
- Preliminary round: Saturday, June 29, 9am-11am
- Final round: Sunday, June 30: 9am-11pm
- Division I must be 6-10 years of age as of June 30, 2019.**
- Division II must be 11 to 15 years of age as of June 30, 2019.**
- Must be an enrolled participant in YGW Program or Academy Program (must be a registered participant in this year’s Boston GuitarFest — specific program determined by age and skill level as detailed).
* The previous year’s first place winners cannot compete in the same division the following year.
* * Students younger than the lower age limit may compete in the Academy on a case-by-case basis. Please see Academy Competition Rules if you are interesting in applying for the Academy and the Academy Competition. Older students, students aged older than the upper age limit for a given YGW division, may under no circumstances find an exception to competing in a YGW division with a younger upper-age limit.
Competitors have free choice of pieces from standard repertoire, and may repeat selections from round to round.
- All music must be performed on a classical guitar.
- Selections must be played from memory.
- Participants are encouraged to use the full time allocated for each round.
- Pieces may be repeated from one round to the next.
- All rounds will be considered when determining the prize winners.
Division I (Ages 6–10)
- Preliminary round: 3–5 minutes: two contrasting works
- Final round: 5–10 minutes: one to two contrasting works
Division II (Ages 11–15)
- Preliminary round: 5–7 minutes: two contrasting works
- Final round: 7–10 minutes: one to two contrasting works
Division I (Junior) competitors must be 6 to 10 years of age.
1st prize: Competition Certificate
2nd prize: Competition Certificate
3rd prize: Competition Certificate
4th prize: Competition Certificate
Division II (Middle) competitors must be 11 to 15 years of age.
1st prize: Competition Certificate + full pass to 2021 festival + performance at the 2021 YGW faculty concert
2nd prize: Competition Certificate + full pass to 2021 festival
3rd prize: Competition Certificate + 50% discount to 2021 festival
4th prize: Competition Certificate + 50% discount to 2021 festival
5th prize: Competition Certificate + 50% discount to 2021 festival
If you have ideas about required repertoire and are unsure about their fulfillment of the requirements, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for clarification or confirmation.
2019 Youth Competition Winners